Top star Lee Byung-hun
issued a press release on December 9 stating he had been threatened by unidentified people. In the press release, he requested an investigation.
The actor's agency, BH Entertainment, said Lee and his manager had been receiving phone calls since last month threatening to spread false rumors about the actor's relationship with his former girlfriend and demanding 2 billion won. Lee dated his former girlfriend from fall last year to spring this year. As the actor did not respond to the threats, the culprits filed a civil lawsuit against him, with his former girlfriend acting as a plaintiff.
The agency said Lee had requested an investigation because he had not done anything wrong and would take legal action for defamation. The agency's CEO, Sohn Seok-woo, added that the scandal broke out just when Lee was focused on shooting the TV drama "IRIS"
and that the actor was determined to make a strong response because he was not guilty.
Lee's former girlfriend, identified only by her last name Kwon, sued Lee on December 8 but no further details were available.