Singer-turned-artist Cho Young-nam is knee-deep in controversy over the authenticity of his artworks after claims that someone else paints his paintings.
Prosecutors on Monday started investigating the 71-year old after a man claimed he painted more than 300 artworks for Cho over the last eight years.
The man (60) says he painted around 90 percent of the 300 pictures Cho has claimed as his own creations while improving the other 10 percent between 2009 and March this year.
He says he was paid W100,000 to W200,000 per painting (US$1=W1,176). But they fetched W10-15 million apiece, a gallerist said.
The singer's agency said the pictures are "based on Cho's original ideas" and the man merely played a supporting role in creating a handful of them alongside several other assistants, a common practice among artists.
The agency denied that Cho paid the man some W100,000 per painting and claimed he gave him millions of won to cover the cost of materials and services rendered.
Source : english.chosun.com/si...Copy & paste guideline for this article
"Singer-Turned-Artist Accused of Contracting Out 'His' Work"
by HanCinema is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Share Alike 3.0 Unported License.
Based on a work from this source
Middle Schoolers Spend Longest Hours at Crammers
Middle school students spend more time studying outside the classroom than high school students even though they face no immediate prospect of university entrance exams. The main reason seems to be that middle schools have more or less given up on their task of educating pupils since they know that,...More
Subscribe to HanCinema Pure to remove ads from the website (not for episode and movie videos) for US$0.99 monthly or US$7.99 yearly (you can cancel anytime). The first step is to be a member, please click here : Sign up, then a subscribe button will show up.